Dedicated Northeast Ohio 3PL Can Drive Down Your Trucking Liability Risks
As a longtime Northeast Ohio 3PL provider in Cleveland, On Time Delivery & Warehouse has a battle-tested supply chain network of carriers and routes spanning the U.S. market and beyond – on ground rails, overseas and in the skies. For most domestic deliveries though, we rely on commercial trucks.
We’re certainly not the only Northeast Ohio 3PL to do so, though our longstanding, loyal customer backing affirms our stake as one of the most trusted supply chain management companies in the Midwest. The U.S. Bureau of Transportation Statistics reports 70 percent of the 50 million tons of U.S. economy freight moved daily is hauled by commercial trucks. Our trucking services clients have the advantage not just of our expansive carrier network, but our own fleet of trailers, box trucks and flatbeds.
Trucking is often the most cost-effective ways to move freight domestically, though as you probably know, it’s not exactly cheap either. Working with a 3PL trucking service can help, getting you better deals on less-than-truckload services and more. In fact, one of the greatest benefits of working with a Northeast Ohio 3PL instead of managing trucking services in-house is: Third-party logistics providers can help reduce your trucking liability risks.
This is an especially key consideration for many firms, given the risk of commercial truck crashes is on the rise.
FMCSA Reports Trucking Liability Risk on the Rise
A report released just this month from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) revealed U.S. large truck crashes (those involving trucks weighing 10,000 pounds or more) climbed a stunning 40 percent from 2009 to 2017. Injury-causing large truck crashes spiked by 30 percent in a single recent year, while fatal truck crashes rose 10 percent.
Keep in mind: Commercial truckers statistically tend to be safer drivers than passenger car operators, and these growing crash rates coincide with an increase in overall motor vehicle crashes after years of decline. But given the out-sized damage big rigs can inflict (and costs associated with that damage), shippers should be selective in choosing a third-party logistics trucking partner. Whichever Northeast Ohio 3PL you choose should be proactive in reducing your commercial trucking liability risks.
In addition to possible injury and wrongful death liability risks, shippers can also be liable to their customers (depending on their customer agreements) to replace products lost when deliveries that are late, spoiled or never arrive. Our Cleveland third-party logistics trucking services professionals know you’re trusting us with your financial security – and your good name. We take that responsibility seriously in our trucking operations.
Inspected Fleets, Vetted Drivers, Insured Deliveries
Of course, no Ohio 3PL trucking services firm can promise every road will be clear. However, at On Time Delivery & Warehouse Inc., we’re committed protecting our client’s reputation as well as their bottom line. We do this with:
- Preparation. We aren’t soothsayers, but we know our routes and have established networks with trusted carriers. We’re ready with rapid response contingency plans to mitigate your liability if problems arise.
- Tight quality controls. We’re well-versed federal commercial trucking laws, insurance requirements and best industry safety practices. That includes abiding all Hours of Service and cargo securement rules. We don’t cut corners.
- Investing in great people. Our employees keep this machine running, so we hire well-qualified, reliable drivers and other logistics team members. We provide all necessary training, tools and supervision required for our employees to do their jobs safely and efficiently.
- Regular fleet maintenance. Our trucks are routinely and thoroughly inspected in line with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) rules. Every truck in our fleet, every cargo packing job we complete meets federal safety rules, and every driver on our team is fully-vetted, properly licensed, TSA & Haz-Mat-certified, Customs Bonded and insured.
- Transparency. Transportation management software gives our Ohio 3PL trucking customers peace-of-mind – and allows us to quickly identify supply chain bottlenecks.
All of this protects our shipper’s products, our property and everyone we encounter along our daily commercial trucking supply chain routes. Our clients are better-protected from liability actions for delayed or damaged deliveries – or worse, injured drivers/other motorists.
It should be noted that depending on the size of the truck and type of materials being moved, the FMCSA may require shippers to purchase higher liability insurance minimums, even if the broker/carrier already has it. Our Northeast Ohio 3PL trucking team works to ensure all liability insurance agreements with our customers are clear on the terms. This helps us all avoid unexpected coverage lapses (which can lead to major losses all around) and ensures we’re all on the same page.
If you are considering outsourcing your trucking services in Northeast Ohio, consider a free initial consultation with one of our helpful team members to discuss how we can reduce your transportation costs and trucking liability.
49 CFR Regulations, FMCSA
More Blog Entries:
Cleveland 3PL: Greener Supply Chains Help Keep You Out of the Red, Dec. 14, 2019, Northeast Ohio 3PL Blog